- (2 lbs) skinless halibut fillet (1 1/2-in. thick), or another white fish
- canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about 1 - 2 limes)
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey (optional)
- 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix (about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper (from 1 [8-oz.] pepper)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions (from 2 scallions)
- 14 (5-in.) corn tortillas, warmed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- feta, queso fresco, or shredded Mexican cheese
Stir together lime juice, mayonnaise, and 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Add coleslaw, bell pepper, cilantro, and scallions; toss to fully coat.
Season halibut fillet with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a cast-iron skillet over high. Add fillet; cook, undisturbed, until deeply browned. Flip and sear the second side and a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of fillet registers 140°F, about 6 minutes per side. Remove fillet from skillet; let rest 5 to 10 minutes. Flake into cubes.
Spoon slaw mixture onto each of 8 warm tortillas. Top with flaked halibut. Finish each taco with your choice of topping. Enjoy!!
You can substitute out the halibut for other proteins as desired. Shrimp, chicken, other fish such as cod, salmon, tofu, black bean, are all great choices.