Salad bowls, of some sort are usually a weekly staple in our house. The reason I love salad bowls so much is that all members of the family can pick what they like, pile in on a plate or all together in a bowl. Not to mention salad bowls usually turn into great burrito ingredients as leftovers. It is also a great way to start the week because there are a bunch of components that you can put together for lunch all week! Easy Breezy!
One of the great things about salad bowls is that you can add or subtract ingredients as you like. If you don’t like tomatoes, don’t add them. Or maybe the tomatoes were not very good in the store, use pico de gallo or salsa. Do you like corn or shredded red cabbage, those are also other wonderful additions! If you have members of your family with dietary concerns, a “bowl” is a great way to feed everyone without really cooking other food. Vegetarians just add bean, Vegan, no cheese or dairy, those needing a lower carbohydrate diets, just omit the rice. See where I am going with this?
I added a nice lime vinaigrette recipe below. If you struggle with making homemade vinaigrette or don’t know how to get started take a look at my tutorial for some help. http://www.courtneynestor.com/classic-vinaigrette/
Cook Well, Eat Well, Live Well!
- SALAD BOWL
- cooked brown rice
- 2 pounds seasoned cooked ground beef, chicken, turkey (protein of choice)
- 2 diced bell pepper
- 2 head romaine lettuce, cut
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 jar salsa
- cheese, feta
- LIME VINIAGRETTE
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together. Set aside.
- Make individual bowls of salad. Let each person choose their toppings of choice. Top with vinaigrette, scallions, cheese and enjoy with a BIG spoon!